Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Altec Valencia Speakers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member waleung's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2006
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, I owned a pair of Altec Valencia Speakers and I have recently find that one speaker is lounder than the other and the sound is not balance. Could somebody tell me why this happens. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi ,

    I presume you tried both channels and phasing.

    And the problem still persists.

    Don't worry not a big thing.

    Could be either woofer or horn.

    Have you tried woofer with out horn?
    and horn with out hoofer.

    Important to elliminate which drivers are defective.

    If woofer well theres only one solution
    since verry old : a complete new kit from GPA.
    I doubt if it's demagnitized.

    If you live to far you can have the woofers reconed in your vecinity. If horns are defective
    send anyway to GPA.

    What happens with aging the spyder is not leveled,
    the cone deteriorates with age.

    ..........................................

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi

    Oh yes I forgot you have to repair both at the same time to have same sound.

    ..........................................

  4. #4
    Inactive Member waleung's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2006
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks and I will try your method to see which dirver has a problem.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Steve808's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2003
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Aloha
    When I had my Valencia's shipped over years ago, after a short time of listening, one of my speakers sounded like you described.
    To be sure it was the speaker and not the amp, I switched the speaker wire outs on the amp to be sure it isn't the amp.
    What I found on my speaker was that one of the leads on the diaphram broke from age.
    Did a fix myself, soldiered a silver wire loop to the leads. Been working since.
    One of these days I am going to send them into Bill H. to get them checked and made new again.

    Steve

  6. #6
    Inactive Member waleung's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2006
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Steve.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member JasoninKahala's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2006
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a pair of Altec Valencia's in Walnut with the original console and really love them but I have to part with the whole system since I'm moving from Hawaii back to the mainland.

    I'm curious as to how much the pair and the console are worth these days. I've seen them listed on ebay for $400 for the pair of speakers but there were no bids. I saw another at $200 that had one bid.

    Anyone have any ideas on this? Also being in Hawaii I know shipping to the mainland in almost prohibitive so I'm looking at trying to sell them locally.

    Jason

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They go for a lot more than that. Usually the ones you are describing (I think Valencia 846A's go for about $1200 to $1500. The ones that were listed cheap must not have been at the end of the auction.Usually Altec stuff gets bid on at the last minute. You should look into having them shipped via baxglobal, it would be worth it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.